Do you want to try a real marshmallow with the aroma of fresh fruits and berries and a little sourness? Then cook it yourself
Do you want to try a real marshmallow with the aroma of fresh fruits and berries and a little sourness? Then cook it yourself. After all, shop delicacy with the addition of artificial flavors even close to him can not be compared. So, today we will learn how to cook the most delicate marshmallow at home using a recipe with agar agar.
Today we will learn how to cook the most delicate marshmallow at home using a recipe with agar agar
How is agar agar better than gelatin or pectin?
The main advantages of agar-agar - a product made from a special type of algae - include the complete absence of any extraneous taste or smell. Gelatin, obtained by prolonged evaporation of cartilage tissues and bones, even the highest quality, always has the taste of meat. Another disadvantage of gelatin is excessive calorie, so when preparing dietary desserts it is undesirable to use it.
In the production of pectin, used in cooking as a sweetener, a preservative and a thickener, mostly cheap sugar beet is used, less often apples or sunflower. Therefore, when it is used, dishes can also acquire strangers, and not always a pleasant taste. Plus, most types of pectin, as well as gelatin can not withstand reheating - jelly immediately becomes liquid. In addition, an excess of pectin can provoke fermentation in the intestines and flatulence.
Agar agar dishes are even different in consistency. Jelly with him more dense, but very gentle. It can be reheated without fear that the dish will turn into a liquid mass, and it will solidify at a temperature of 40 ° C, and much faster than gelatin or pectin. That is why agar-agar is so valued in cooking. It is widely used in the preparation of canned food, desserts, condensed milk, and even beer.
The main advantages of agar-agar - a product made from a special type of algae - include the complete absence of any extraneous taste or smell
Tip! The price of agar-agar is significantly different from the cost of gelatin. For example, 100 g of a quality product will cost 400-450 rubles. But, since it takes quite a bit of it, this amount is enough for you for a long time. Moreover, its shelf life is unlimited.
How to work with agar agar?
If you find cheap marshmallows in the store that do not taste too good, know that they are made on the basis of cheap gelatin or pectin. Real, fragrant and tender marshmallow, as well as marmalade, high-quality cakes and poultry "Milk Milk" cakes are prepared only with agar-agar. Plus, unfortunately, in industrial production, to increase the shelf life of most products, unwanted additives, often harmful to our body, are introduced.
We will learn to cook not only delicate and fragrant, but absolutely harmless culinary masterpieces. Especially since working with agar agar is absolutely not difficult:
- the only thing to consider is that it dissolves only at elevated temperatures;
- at first it is diluted with water (on average, a tablespoon of agar will be needed for a glass of water);
- the mixture is set on fire, brought to a boil and boil with stirring for no more than 1-2 minutes, until the powder dissolves;
- when cooking marshmallow, it is boiled immediately in sugar syrup, and then hot, poured into a mixer or whipped by hand, gradually, spoon by spoon adding pre-whipped proteins;
- When introduced into other dishes, agar-agar is mixed with foods slightly warm, but not completely frozen, in which case it will be much easier to work with them.
When introduced into other dishes, agar-agar is mixed with foods slightly warm, but not completely frozen, in which case it will be much easier to work with them.
Tip! Agar-agar from different manufacturers may have a different density. Therefore, instead of blindly following the recipes, try to pick up the number by experience. Over time, you can already determine how much it should be put in a particular product.
Classic Apple Marshmallow
It is this composition - apple puree with a slight sourness, beaten egg white and sugar - is considered a classic marshmallow. Therefore, we start with this recipe:
- to get 250 g of mashed potatoes, you will need 6-8 fairly large apples, it is better to use classic Antonovka;
- in principle, you can take and store baby puree, but in this case it will need to be made to make it more dense;
- we will also need 1 egg white, 150 ml of water for cooking syrup and about 1.5 glasses of sugar;
- for this amount you will need to take 8-10 g of agar-agar (about a tablespoon without a slide);
- if desired, food coloring;
- for dusting we will use icing sugar, it will take about 100 g.
It is this composition - apple puree with a slight sourness, beaten egg white and sugar - is considered a classic marshmallow
In advance, you will need to prepare baking paper for jigging finished products and a pastry bag for their molding (although you can plant them with a regular spoon).
Tip! The best agar-agar is powder, cream, almost white. The gelling properties of the yellow product will be much lower.
Since for the recipe we need the most delicate and fragrant mashed potatoes, we will first prepare it:
- to remove excess moisture from apples, put them in the oven or microwave for 15-20 minutes; temperature is set at 180 ° C; Naturally, we pre-cut them in half or in quarters and remove the core from them;
- we check the readiness of apples with a knife - they must completely turn into a soft mass;
- it is better to immediately wipe them through a sieve or whip them with an immersion blender hot - in this case the mashed potatoes will be smoother and more tender;
- it should keep well on a spoon, if the mash is watery, it is better to put it on the fire and to reduce it a little more;
- the resulting whipped mass to cool in the cold.
You need to wipe the apples through a sieve or whip with a dip blender
Tip! Antonovka apples contain a sufficient amount of pectin, because they make the marshmallow more dense.
Agar Agar Syrup Preparation
So we know that we need to dissolve agar-agar in hot water:
- we put a glass of water on fire, add agar-agar to it, and after boiling we pour in the remaining sugar (about 0.5 cups);
- it takes less time to dissolve the agar-agar, but since we need to get sugar syrup, boil the mixture for about 5 minutes, stirring constantly; as a result, the liquid should reach behind the spoon with a thin thread;
- while the syrup is cooling down, let's shake up the protein.
Tip! Sugar needs to be added only to hot water. Otherwise the marshmallow will harden worse.
How to quickly beat the protein?
We will beat it not with sugar, but with well cooled apple and sugar puree. It is more convenient to do this, of course, with the help of a mixer. Although with a certain dexterity, this can be achieved with the help of a conventional corolla:
- the protein should only be cold, at room temperature it will be whipped much longer;
- it is necessary to beat up a very dense foam manually; at the beginning, only the beats are whipped so that it becomes completely foamy, and only then, gradually, spoon by spoon, mashed potatoes are added;
- in the mixer, it is first mixed at the beginning on the middle one, and then, adding the remaining half of the puree, at high speed to hard peaks (so that when you turn the vessel, the protein does not flow).
The protein should only be cold, at room temperature it will whip much longer.
Tip! If you smash the eggs in advance and keep the squirrels warm for 24 hours and then cool, they can be whipped even with a whisk in a matter of minutes.
So, the most crucial moment comes. Agar-agar is poured into our beaten whites with the thinnest stream of hot (!), Without ceasing to mix the mass. When whipping with a whisk too fast, it should not be poured - otherwise all our work will be down the drain.
As a result, we should have a fluffy, but very dense mass. The corolla should come out of it with little effort.
Agar Agar is a useful ingredient in desserts.
Tip! The black and red algae from which agar is extracted contain a large amount of iodine, iron, calcium, and other valuable trace elements. Therefore, our dish will be not only tasty, but also useful.
Finally came the most interesting process - the formation of marshmallows. Spoon or using a pastry bag on baking paper lay out our products. Their size is not so important - do it at your discretion.
Leave our dish freeze overnight. Ready marshmallows fasten in pairs using any protein or oil cream.
Attention! Never leave in view of the husband or children is not yet frozen delicacy. Otherwise, you yourself will not be able to try it.
A similar delicacy can be obtained by adding a variety of fruits and berries. When using cherries, strawberries or raspberries, you will get fragrant pale pink marshmallows. Berries can also be used frozen. Kiwi colors your dessert in light green, and bananas in a light yellowish tint.
The main rule here is to use a rather dense, not watery puree:
- thawed strawberries, cherries or raspberries beforehand drain excess liquid;
- berry or fruit is ground in mashed potatoes;
- add sugar, bring to a boil, then cool;
- when getting liquid mashed potatoes boil it a little longer;
- Next, prepare the marshmallow according to the above recipe.
This delicacy can be obtained by adding a variety of fruits and berries.
Tip! Marshmallow can be prepared from a mixture of berries and fruits, mixing them in different proportions. For example, you can make apple-strawberry or raspberry-banana dessert.
Chocolate honey flavor
Since cocoa contains a useful mineral called magnesium, which supports our immunity and is extremely important for skin and hair, do not forget to occasionally enjoy chocolate desserts, even on a diet. When honey is added to them, the benefits of marshmallow will only increase. So, we will need:
- water (you can take high-quality mineral water): 2/3 cup;
- agar-agar 10 g;
- cocoa or dark chocolate 100 g;
- sugar 2 large spoons;
- honey also 2 spoons;
- vanilla: pinch.
Berries in this recipe is better not to use - they will interrupt the taste of honey. This recipe is similar to the previous ones. The only thing is that we will need to prepare chocolate for work. It is melted in advance with honey in a water bath, trying not to heat above 60 ° C until the first bubbles appear. In dissolved hot agar-agar it is added gradually, spoon by spoon.
Since cocoa contains a useful mineral called magnesium, which supports our immunity and is extremely important for skin and hair, do not forget to occasionally enjoy chocolate desserts, even on a diet.
Tip! Agar-agar has a slight laxative effect, so dishes from it can be recommended for problems with the intestines. It is also useful in that it is capable of quickly removing slags and toxins.
Exotic Marshmallow with Stevia
If someone else is not familiar with this southern bush, it's time to get acquainted with its unusual properties. After all, stevia is not only considered a safe sugar substitute (by the way, its sweetness is much higher than that of beet), but it is also capable of reducing blood sugar. It is also believed that people who regularly consume it suffer less from caries and inflammation of the gums. The taste and aroma of the leaves of the shrub is remarkable - for it is not for nothing that they are called honey grass.
To prepare a normal consistency marshmallow, you will need to take a thick concentrate of stevia or its freshly rubbed leaves. So, the recipe includes:
- water, about 150 g;
- any apple, fruit or berry puree 250 g;
- 8 tablespoons of crushed stevia leaves;
- a teaspoon of agar;
- 1 protein;
- if necessary, vanilla.
This terrific and dietary dessert is easy to make at home.
We make a small adjustment to the above recipes. Note that in the recipe we do not have sugar. After all, after cooking mashed potatoes, we will add sweet stevia to it and carefully beat a lot of blender until the leaves are completely crushed.
Next, follow the recipe. Whip the protein with puree, gradually pour in a solution of hot agar-agar. When receiving a thick mass, we plant it on a leaf in the form of greenish fragrant marshmallows. Leave for a few hours to set. Enjoying the result. Do not forget to regale a useful delicacy of girlfriends and colleagues and tell them that delicacy is not only tasty, but also very useful.