The diet of modern man with all its diversity does not provide the body with many useful components. At an accelerated pace of life, one has to be content with snacks on the run or fast food. As a result, due to the lack of necessary substances, diseases appear, and the cause of many of them is omega-3 deficiency. So what is this substance for?
What it is
This is a group of polyunsaturated fatty acids (PUFAs), which are not produced by the body, but only from the outside, along with the products.
The main omega-3 acids include:
- Alfinolinic acid (ALA or ALA), which is produced by plants. It is not so valuable to the body. However, ALA-acid is the progenitor of other more valuable polyunsaturated acids;
- eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA or EPA) is produced by fish, plants and animals, and can also be synthesized from ALA-acid;
- Docosahexaenoic acid (DHA or DHA) is found in marine fats and is produced in small quantities by some plants. This composition is the most valuable for humans, since it plays an important role in the prevention of many diseases.
In order for the body to fully function, and the disease does not develop, it is necessary to take a sufficient amount of acids. However, it should be noted that at present there is no officially recommended dosage of consumption.
Different research centers recommend different daily dosages of omega-3
Different research organizations give numbers that differ from each other. For example, the minimum daily intake of EPA and DHA according to various sources ranges from 0.25 mg to 0.5 mg.
Rospotrebnadzor of the Russian Federation leads the daily intake rate for healthy adults: 0.8-1.6 g / day.
Table: daily consumption of omega-3
|Category and gender||Daily rate|
|Adults (men and women)||0.8-1.6 g|
|Children 0-12 months||0.5 g|
|Children 1-3 years||0.7 g|
|Children 4-8 years||0.8 g|
|Girls 9-13 years old||1 g|
|Boys 9-13 years old||1.2 g|
|Girls 14-18 years old||1.2 g|
|Boys 14-18 years old||1.6 g|
|Pregnant and lactating women||1-1.8 g|
It should be noted that these figures can be adjusted, depending on age, health status and other factors.
It is interesting. In Australia, more than one hundred people over the age of 50 participated in one study. For four months, they took EPA and DHA. It turned out that the female body better absorbs docosahexaenoic acid, and the male body - eicosapentoenoic acid.
What is useful for
It is very difficult to overestimate the positive effect of polyunsaturated fatty acids on the human body. They are directly involved in the work of many systems and organs, and also contribute to the strengthening and healing of the organism as a whole, namely:
- contribute to the better functioning of the cardiovascular system (regulate pressure, reduce the amount of cholesterol in the blood, minimize the likelihood of heart attack and stroke);
- help the joints stay mobile and healthy by slowing the breakdown of collagen fibers;
- increase bone strength, which reduces the risk of osteoporosis;
- promote the work of the central nervous system (improve memory, brain activity, sleep quality);
- reduce the risk of mental disorders;
- activate blood circulation;
- promote immunity;
- struggling with manifestations of allergic reactions;
- stimulate reproductive activity;
- improve eyesight;
- reduce chronic inflammation;
- help in the fight against autoimmune diseases (for example, diabetes);
- prevent the development of cancer;
- slow down the aging process of the body.
Video about the benefits of the substance
Interesting fact. During the large-scale experiment, 11,000 participants consumed 0.85 g daily of EPA and DHA for 3.5 years. Studies have shown that the risk of heart attacks has decreased by a quarter, and the cases of sudden death almost doubled.
Woman and polyunsaturated fatty acids
Omega-3 acids are necessary for the female body to maintain not only health, but also beauty.
PUFAs help keep skin young. The fact is that DHA plays a certain role in the health of cell membranes. This allows you to keep the skin elastic, elastic and moisturized, that is, significantly slow down the process of aging.
EPA helps the skin as follows:
- controls the activity of the sebaceous glands;
- prevents acne and acne;
- helps to retain the necessary moisture in the skin.
In addition, due to the effects of omega-3 acids, the condition of the hair improves: they become stronger, their growth is activated, and shine appears.
In more detail about vitamins and other substances useful to hair, we told in the article: //avrorra.com/samye-luchshie-vitaminy-dlja-rosta-volos-otzyvy/
It should be noted that if women receive the PUFA in the right quantity, then the nails also become strong, grow well and have a healthy appearance.
Acids against Oncology
According to statistics, among women with cancer, breast cancer is most often diagnosed. Each year, more than 1 million new patients are recorded, with deaths accounting for 40%.
Studies have shown that omega-3 acids reduce the likelihood of developing a malignant tumor. Among 35,000 postmenopausal women, a group was selected that regularly took drugs with a substance. It turned out that the incidence of breast cancer was 32% lower than that of those participants who did not receive PUFA in the proper amount.
Help during and after pregnancy
With the use of these acids in the required amount of pregnant women are much less likely to experience toxicosis, including late periods. In addition, the risks of miscarriages or premature births are significantly reduced during this period.
During pregnancy, taking Omega-3 helps preserve the health of the future mother and contributes to the normal development of the baby.
Use in the right amount of polyunsaturated fatty acids contributes to the normal prenatal development of the baby. In the future, these children are distinguished from their peers by greater acumen, better memory and ability to learn.
After the birth of a child, a woman who uses such an additive is protected from postpartum depression, since EPA and DHA normalize hormones and stabilize the nervous system.
PUFA during menopause
Everyone knows that a woman undergoes changes at the physiological and psycho-emotional level during menopause:
- drastic decline of strength;
- pressure surges;
- excessive sweating;
- depressed state;
- irritability and mood swings;
- sense of anxiety;
The use of omega-3 acids allows you to cope with all the "charms" of this period and will allow a woman to feel fully.
How can a substance contribute to weight loss? Specific information that using polyunsaturated fatty acids can lose weight, no. But arguments in favor of the claim that PUFAs help make the figure more slender can be made.
The main advantage of acids is that they allow you to maintain a feeling of satiety for a long time, which helps to reduce the amount of food eaten per day and, accordingly, the number of calories received. Consequently, the weight will decrease.
PUFAs can contribute to the burning of saturated fats, but this happens only with intense exercise.
The main role of omega-3 acids in slimming is reduced to another. Almost all known and popular diets exclude the use of fats and carbohydrates. This leads to irritability and a depressive state. In addition, it is known that such diets are often accompanied by an increase in pressure and the occurrence of other problems with the cardiovascular system. Reception becomes important in order not to undermine health and be in a good mood during a diet. That is, the use of PUFA during the diet makes weight loss safe for the body.
When losing weight, the role of Omega-3 is reduced in maintaining health and good mood.
Why take men
For men's health, polyunsaturated fatty acids are no less important than for women.
- According to the World Health Organization, many more men die from cardiovascular diseases. This is due to the lower stress resistance of the male body. In addition, men are more prone to bad habits. The use of such acids allows a third to reduce the risk of or recurrence of diseases of the cardiovascular system.
- Prostate cancer is 63% less diagnosed in that part of the male population that consumed omega-3 products in the required amount.
- With the use of PUFAs, the erectile function and sperm quality are significantly improved.
- At observance of norm of the use development of a male hormone testosterone improves.
Effect of polyunsaturated fatty acids on the development of a child
Omega-3 acid baby begins to receive with mother's milk. And it is important for its normal development. Therefore, those women who use artificial feeding, should pick up a mixture enriched with the substance.
So, the benefits of PUFA for children are as follows:
- acids are needed for building brain cells. Therefore, in children who receive the daily allowance of a substance, one can note a good memory and concentration of attention. In infants motility develops more actively, and in the future, brain activity and the ability to learn in such children is higher than that of their peers;
- PUFA can lead to normal operation of the central nervous system. At an early age, such supplements reduce hyperactivity, make it possible to make a capricious and tearful child more relaxed. In adolescence, when hormones are very unstable, polyunsaturated acids help to eliminate irritability and depressive state;
- full admission of PUFA is the key to healthy and strong teeth;
- the use allows to avoid diathesis and other allergic manifestations;
- allow you to strengthen children's immunity in general.
Video: the value of omega-3 for children
Products containing Omega-3
What is necessary to eat to stocks of polyunsaturated fatty acids in the body corresponded to the norm?
Table: foods rich in this substance
|Product||Mass fraction per 100 g of product|
|Fish fat||23 g|
|Chia seeds||24 g|
|Flax seeds (ground)||0.23 g|
|White fish||1,704 g|
|Hemp seeds||1 g|
|Egg yolks||0.13 g|
|Linseed oil||57 g|
|Mustard oil||21 g|
|Beans, beans, soybeans, oat shoots||0.15 g|
As can be seen from the table, the highest content of polyunsaturated fatty acids is flaxseed and mustard oil and chia seeds. But it should be remembered that omega-3 is presented here in the form of ALA (alphalinol acid), and two other acids, EPA and DHA, produce a positive effect on the body. They can be synthesized from ALA, but the conversion rate is rather low: it is only 3.8–9% for women and even less for men.
Therefore, other products are of much greater value in terms of content. This is mainly cold-water fatty fish: mackerel, herring, salmon, tuna. It should be noted that artificially grown fish on the content of omega-3 is inferior to fish that lived in open waters.
The fat of river fish does not contain the substance we need.
Gallery: products with a high content of substance
- Among the cold-water fish mackerel ranks first in the content of omega-3
- You can get a lot of fish oil from tuna
- Walnuts are even more useful thanks to PUFA
- Oil and flax seeds among plant materials contain the most Omega-3
- In the yolks of chicken eggs, among other useful ingredients, there is also PUFA
- PUFA found in legumes
- In addition to many useful components, chia seeds can boast of omega-3
- Eating fish oil helps to improve health
- The percentage of omega-3 in mustard oil is quite high
- Small fish is considered a good raw material for the production of high-quality fish oil.
- Herring caught in cold waters is rich in subcutaneous fat
- Salmon is oily fish and source of Omega-3
Products containing PUFA
It is not always possible to replenish the supply of omega-3 acids in the body from foods (for example, if you cannot eat certain foods containing PUFAs by health indicators). In this case, you can use the pharmacy tools. Obviously, the main source is fish oil, which can be sold in liquid or encapsulated form. Of course, it is much more convenient and pleasant to use capsules. In addition, fish oil in the capsule is not susceptible to oxidation, in contrast to the liquid state, and therefore has a longer shelf life.
When choosing drugs it is necessary to pay attention to the following points:
- what is the source of omega-3. If the tool is made from vegetable raw materials, then you need to understand that the effect of its reception will be several times lower;
- from which fish was taken fat. It is best if it is a small fish (for example, anchovies) or a fish carcass, and not its insides (guts, liver);
- what is the concentration of the substance in one capsule;
- cost of the drug. It is clear that domestic funds will cost less, but too low a price indicates a poor quality of the original raw materials.
Arctic Sea (Forever, USA)
The source of EPA and DHA fatty acids in the Arctic Sea preparation is fat from deep-sea fish in cold seas, as well as squid oil.
Vitamin E in this tool plays the role of a preservative. In addition to fish oil, the capsule contains olive oil, selenium and zinc.
Pack of 120 capsules.
Arctic Sea (Forever, USA) helps strengthen the body
Omega 3 Fortex
Means Omega 3 Fortex produced in Bulgaria. Packaging contains 90 capsules. As a source of PUFA used fish oil mackerel, sardine salmon.
The manufacturer recommends the drug as a dietary supplement, as well as in the treatment of cardiovascular diseases.
The source of Omega-3 is fat from mackerel, sardines, salmon
Omega-3 from Nutra Source (USA)
According to the manufacturer, the drug proved to be excellent in the prevention and complex treatment of gastric and duodenal ulcers. In addition to tonic and health effects, the tool effectively helps in the treatment of eczema and psoriasis.
Packaging contains 45 capsules. The source of omega-3 is salmon oil.
Omega-3 from Nutra Source (USA) prolongs youth
Oceanola from Fora FARM (Russia)
The polyunsaturated fatty acids used in Oceanola are extracted from the subcutaneous fat of special fish species found in the cold waters of the Arctic Ocean. A high content of omega-3 is achieved by cold filtering fat.
Package contains 30 capsules.
Oceanol is one of the popular drugs on the Russian market.
Omega-3 salmon oil (Koryakmoreproduct LLC, Russia)
The drug is made from the fat of fish that were caught off the coast of Kamchatka. The equipment that is used to make the product makes it possible, in just two hours from the moment of catching the fish, to make the finished product. Accordingly, all the beneficial properties of fish oil will be maximally preserved.
Packaging contains 90 capsules.
Kamchatka Peninsula gave consumers high-quality fish oil
Fish oil Rybka (ZELDIS-PHARMA (Russia)
RybKa helps to strengthen the children's body. The manufacturer made the capsule shell as soft as possible so that the child could swallow it easily.
The tool is designed for children from 3 years. In the package - 30 capsules.
RybKa is recommended as a dietary supplement for children from 3 years
Fish Oil (Chewable DHA for children from Carlson Labs, USA)
Sometimes it is difficult to force a child to swallow a capsule. In this case, a drug made in the form of chewy candies with an orange flavor will be convenient. Constituent DHA is of paramount importance for the healthy development of the brain and the vision of growing children.
The drug is recommended for children from 4 years. In the package - 120 gel capsules.
Chewy sweets can be beneficial if Omega-3
Instructions for taking supplements
All pharmaceutical preparations are accompanied by annotation, where the dosage is clearly prescribed for each age category. Only a qualified doctor can correct the daily rate.
However, there are general rules for taking fish oil, which will help get the maximum benefit:
- Before starting to use, you should consult a doctor, especially if there are chronic diseases;
- Do not take omega-3 capsules on an empty stomach, otherwise there is a risk of a disorder. The drug should be consumed during or immediately after a meal;
- in no case should not exceed the dosage, otherwise nausea, diarrhea, bleeding may occur;
- the drug should not be consumed for more than 30 days, as long-term use may cause significant harm to the body;
- Reception course can be repeated 2-3 times a year.
Reviews of the beneficial properties of the substance and the effect of the application
I recently had been ill with bronchitis, drank a strong antibiotic. And because of this, endless, three-week diarrhea resulted. I drank it all: polysorb, neosmectin, activated carbon. Я ничего не ела, я ела только кефир и бифидо-примочки. Никакой реакции! Уже хотела идти к врачу… Но тут начала пить Омега 3, и на 2 день мне очень сильно полегчало. Пропали боли, рези, я меньше стала бегать в туалет. А через неделю все восстановилось до конца.
Omega-3 capsules pleased me pleasantly, they turned out to be quite fast-acting, my branches nails quickly, despite the fact that before taking the course I cut them at the root, the skin became cleaner and I gained 14 kg in weight for 2 days. Actually for this purpose I purchased this dietary supplement. The general state of health has improved, appetite appeared, excellent mood and a lot of energy. As a nice extra bonus, I noticed an anti-depressive effect, tearfulness no longer haunts me.
The second month of taking this dietary supplement showed no super-improvements of either skin, or hair, or nails. I bought this one - "Doppelgerts", to be honest, because of the price. The doctor prescribed something like "Solaris", but it is a very expensive drug. The pharmacy advised to replace the much cheaper German counterpart, arguing that it would also be taking vitamin E.
According to the consumer Nelanela, the use of the drug had no effect
I will note that Omega-3 improves the condition of the hair, the skin becomes softer, it goes dry. I have very dry elbows. So 2 weeks of supplementation is enough to make them soft again. Omega-3 is best absorbed during a hearty lunch or dinner.
I have a huge problem, I have very painful women's days. I think many know it! And my body is saturated with these fatty acids in the correct order and oh, a miracle! My days are almost without pain!
Omega-3 helps relieve pain during menstruation.
Omega-3 fatty acids are an important component in human nutrition, because they promote overall health and help to cope with many diseases. PUFA is equally beneficial to all people, regardless of age and gender. Since polyunsaturated acids are not produced by the body itself, care must be taken to ensure that they are delivered in the right amount with food or through the use of pharmaceutical preparations.